St James Cathedral - Seattle, WA

Monday, March 4, 2019

Abortion as the Demonic Parody of the Eucharist

People who have read my blog in the past know that I have always been pro-life.  That being said, I have something small to confess.  Last January, I felt defeated with opposing abortion.  The March for Life seemed pointless- even if Roe vs Wade were actually overturned, there are still other laws that permit abortion.  I thought that people who want legalized abortion were going to continue to want this regardless of anything I had to say.  I was still pro-life, but had no longer had any argument left in me.  

My indifference was wrong, and it was seeing this on Twitter that brought me out of it:  


This struck me pretty hard because I had never thought about this before.  This sacred phrase spoken by Jesus Christ has been blasphemed by Satan, who has fooled people into  using the phrase to justify killing our brothers and sisters in the womb.

This is my body is a phrase from the words of institution that, when said by the priest, change the bread into Christ's Eucharistic presence during Mass:  "Take this, all of you, and eat of it, for this is my Body, which will be given up for you," (Catechism of the Catholic Church 1412-1413).  This is why these words are so important to us.

Knowing what the Church teaches about evil and that Satan is "a murderer from the beginning," I suppose that I shouldn't have been surprised (CCC 2850-2852).

So how do we stop the blaspheming of words of Jesus?  First, we should stay close to the Eucharist.  Jesus will deliver us from evil if we stay close to him (CCC 2853-2854).

Then we as the Church should stay close to people who have taken part in an abortion.  In some ways, they need the Eucharist more than anyone else.  If someone once drove them to an abortion clinic, then someone can bring them to the Church where they can receive healing through sacramental confession and be united in the Eucharist.  "No one is excluded from the mercy of God," (General Audience of Pope Francis on January 20, 2016).

At the same time, we have to create a culture that is truly pro-life.  Marching, picketing, and praying to end abortion are fine actions, but they are not sufficient on their own.  The reality of the Gospel must be brought into society.  Having children is a privilege.  No one should feel that pregnancy is a burden.  No one should be put in such a position where the possibility of terminating pregnancy is the better option. 

This last point is important.  Use prudence and gentleness when talking about abortion.  For me, I was ready to hear Peter Kreeft's powerful quote at this time in my life.  Others can be at different points on the journey, thus charity and kindness should lead.  Truth without love is cruel.  It can also be another tool for the devil to use against us.

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection...        



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...